This is adapted from a recipe I found on Food.com.
1 cup rolled oats
1 cup whole wheat flour
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
1/4 cup vegetable oil, plus more for cooking (I use avocado or extra-virgin coconut or expeller-pressed sunflower, but you can use just about any mild, good-quality oil)
1/4 cup agave nectar, maple syrup or honey
1. Warm oil on a griddle or a skillet over medium heat.
2. Grind the oats in a food processor until fine. (To substitute for buttermilk, pour 1 1/2 tablespoons of white vinegar into a measuring cup and fill to the 1 1/2 cup mark with milk; let sit for at least five minutes.)
3. Combine ground oats, whole wheat flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a bowl.
4. In another bowl, briskly whisk buttermilk, oil, egg and syrup/honey until smooth.
5. Mix dry ingredients with wet ingredients, until just combined.
6. Pour 1/3 cup batter onto the griddle or skillet for each pancake, and cook for a few minutes on each side.